Saturday, October 18, 2008

Making friends is awesome

I checked out the 24 Hour Fitness a few miles from the new place, and with parking and traffic the way it is around here I'm going to need a bike pretty badly. The gym had everything I could ask for or want, and I'm doing a 7-day trial to check it out. The guy at the desk wanted to talk to me about memberships right away, but I said I wanted to ride out the free week before I made any decisions. Hopefully if I stay enthusiastic but aloof he'll feel more inclined to offer a better deal.

I feel stupid about it now, but when I was making an early dinner before work I made a discovery. Rice actually absorbs a ridiculous amount of water. I spent a little while marveling at exactly how much of what we eat, weight-wise, is just water.

Oh god, speaking of weight, I checked mine at the gym. One hundred thirty. I've lost over ten pounds since I arrived in LA. I'm not the type to obsess too much about my weight, but I've seen this coming every time I've looked in a mirror. I just didn't think it would be so dramatic.

Work was smooth tonight, we had the least-secretive secret shopper from corporate in the world. This woman came in loud and impatient, made a huge order and demanded a refund after five minutes because it was "taking too long". As soon as she left, the district manager called and asked unsubtle questions about how we handled the situation. One of my coworkers, Jenna, expressed frustration at getting night hours since she'd miss her AA meetings, and I offered to take any night shifts she didn't want, as I want as many hours as I can get. As the night dragged on, Jenna mentioned how psyched she was to get off work and go play Rock Band, and when I said how much I missed it, she invited me to come hang out with her and her boyfriend after work.

They live out in Santa Monica, and they're really nice, laid-back people. Jason does graphic design and computer service for a group in Malibu, and he's ridiculously handy elsewhere. When the kickpedal broke on their Rock Band drum set, he built a new one. In between songs he was cutting up rubber to try and give it more recoil, but it was working fine. I ended up leaving around 2, glad to have had the experience. They met at an AA meeting, so they're more creative than the types to just go to a bar as a weekend activity.

2 comments:

Applesauce said...

hah, your story about the secret shopper makes me wonder if that's what happened at baskin robbins once when i was working...i was there in the morning, around 10am, and this dude came in and ordered an icecream, and then got really pissed when the manager (who was serving him) tried to give him his change AFTER handing him the icecream - he was all "how am i supposed to hold all this?" so she was like "i'm not dealing with this" and just walked into the back. he looked at me and said "did you just see that?? i want to talk to your manager." and i was like "that WAS the manager." it was pretty ridiculous.

Unknown said...

Pete I hate that you weigh less than I do. Something for me to obsess about. great. jk. miss you tones though.